Traffic on interwebs is very similar to the road traffic where many automobiles go towards a particular way or path,the only difference is that on the interwebs “traffic” is in terms of people or commonly termed as visitors and the “way” refers to a blog/website.
Just started blogging,no one is interested in visiting my blog ? Getting No Adsense Clicks
Too much traffic on road can be bad at times,but usually bloggers crave for more and more traffic and they are various reasons for this like they want their views or opinions to be read by others or simply because they want to make some decent online income.Every blogger who is successful today is because of only one reason i.e being passionate about the niche chosen.You cannot start a blog today and think that you can make money today itself by placing adsense ad units.When it comes to blogging,money should be secondary and passion in writing articles should be primary.
Likewise,when you start your blog and write your first article,you may not see traffic coming your way because there may be already tons of articles written on the topic you have chosen and thus there will be more competition in terms of keywords and authority.But don’t get disappointed,continue to write articles on topic that interests you and topics that you think would entice people to read.Gradually,you will see that as you continue to write and express your thoughts by writing articles,people would like to come back and visit to check your blog for more such articles or information,this is where you start building loyal readers.
Will writing only articles that I am passionate about bring traffic to my blog ?
The answer is a BIG NO !
If this question was asked a decade back,it would be a YES,but today the scenario is that there are atleast 100 blogs on a topic similar as choosen by you.Getting search engine traffic is not so easy as your blog article may be buried to some 20th search result page and thus no one would come your way,because of the fact that many people tend to see only the top 10 results shown by search engines.
I am not debunking my own previously said words that “You should write articles that your passionate about”.But,alongwith that you should also incorporate extra activities,some of which I am doing myself and some which are on my “TO DO LIST”.
PS: Don’t try everything at once,try doing only few tips say two or three for four months and then continually add the others plus keep practicing old activities.All this tips have also been suggested by many probloggers.
- Content Is King : If you have been blogging for some time then you must have come across this phrase.“Content Is King” has been rightly said because without content,a blog has no value.If your blog content is stale or old then it may not be able to attract more visitors to your blog.
TIP #1 : Keep adding content to your blog.Its not necessary to add content daily but try adding content to your blog at regular intervals.
- Short Posts Vs Long Posts : Usually Long articles would be having a better chance of getting found in search engines as if your article is long (500+ words) then your article will be having more queries or commonly termed as keywords that people will actually search in search engines.
TIP #2: Try writing atleast 500+ articles.If you are not able to write in one day,then its OK to leave the article as draft and come back and write the article later on the next day.Make a diary and have a habbit of jotting down the ideas that may strike you about the article topic and then include those next time.
- Learn Some SEO : Search engine optimization (SEO) is a technique that should be understood by every blogger clearly.May be not when you are starting to blog,but you should get familiar with SEO practices.Even Google recommends to incorporate SEO to your articles.If you are still confused as to What I am saying,then your starting point is Seomoz’s Search engine optimization tutorial.
- Read Other Blogs : Make a habbit of reading other blogs,by reading blogs you can get many ideas which you can incorporate in your own articles.Also,chances of having the so called “Writer’s Block”,where a writer is deprived of any idea,would be less.
TIP #4 : Read other blogs or read articles or magazines on topic that interest you.Make this your habbit,this way you can get more ideas for your own article.
- Build Backlinks : Google is the search engine where the most searches are made world-wide and thus it’s the major source of traffic to any blog.Google is very strict about website guidelines and any blog which spits spam to google gets de-indexed or discredited in terms of rankings.Backlinks refers to the number of sites linking back to you.You won’t get backlinks easily unless you practice some evil methods like link selling or worse hiring a backlink builder service.I am not saying that every link building service is scam but you should carefully research before you buy any such service as some of them out there are scams or worse they will add backinks by evil practices as mentioned earlier.Actually,you don’t need to opt for such link building service,unless you are not willing to do some of the good practices as mentioned below :
TIP #5 : Write articles for other blogs (Guest post) : This is best way to build not only backlinks to your blog but also build healthy blogger relationships with other bloggers.
Backlinks will come your way,but make sure you focus to compile and put forth your words in the best possible way,so that you build your image as of a dedicated blogger,not not just as a fly-by guest poster.
TIP #6 : Read other blog articles and leave “valuable” comments : Leaving comments on other blogs can also earn you a backlink,but make sure that you don’t spam other blogs for the sake of backlinks,most of the times your comment will be deleted.
My suggestion will be to read articles that you are passionate about and then leave your valuable comment on the topic rather than opening some 20 tabs in your browser and commenting randomly anything by just seeing the summary or the last part of the article.
TIP #7 : Don’t just Blog, be social : Blogging doesn’t mean to make someone’s life miserable,if you blog only with the thought that you can make gazillions then you will get really depressed as you cannot do that.Blogging is a way to express or share your experiences or opinions on a particular topic.
Make sure you don’t get too much indulged in your blog and forget your social life,be it on the internet or in your vicinity.Share your articles with your peeps and if they like,they will share with others.
TIP #8 : Content Is King : Remember,I mentioned this in the very first place in the article.Writing content and that also quality content can give you thousands of backlinks from other blogs or websites.
But,you cannot always write a content that will stand out and get noticed by others.However,you should never cease to write content as you cannot be sure as to when you can produce a great written content.
- Ahh,I am already doing everything you mention ! Still no massive traffic ?
There are very less chances that you won’t get any traffic,if you are practicing all the activities/tips mentioned above.
Don’t be discouraged to know the fact that a blog X (same niche) is getting more traffic then your blog.
Thumb rule : Keep writing quality content and see visitors coming your way.